Nov 19, 2008

I got my Christmas Tree before Thanksgiving.

This is a very grainy photograph of our beautiful Christmas tree. And Darwin. And a lot of cords. I apologize in advance for writing a blog about the new addition to our living room, but I felt so inclined. And I'm hoping to spread some premature holiday cheer.
This particular Christmas tree is of the "Charlie Brown" variety, meaning it is sparse, gangly, skinny-trunked, and generally adolescent-looking. All of these things are an attempt to make up for the fact that it artificial. I believe it is working.
I decided (I being the important word here) to pick up this beautiful piece of synthetic sexiness at an establishment I have recently been introduced to. It is a place called Hobby Lobby, and it is a warehouse full of glorious crafty things, all on sale for less than Wal-Mart would ever dare to price them. And you don't have to feel guilty, because you're not at Wal-Mart. 
Brandon frowned upon my hasty decision to put up this majestic, ornamented beauty, repeating phrases like "It's not even Thanksgiving!" To this, I responded simply,
"Brandon, we are going home for Christmas on the 18th. And if you include going back to Cincinnati for Thanksgiving, that is barely three weeks we will have with this precious holiday essential." 
Maybe my answer wasn't that elaborate, and maybe I ignored the vast majority of his questions, but I like the tree. And Darwin certainly likes the tree. And I have a good feeling that the homeless people walking past our window (which lacks blinds because Brandon broke them a month ago) like the tree. Who knows, maybe they do not have the means to celebrate anything this year? Maybe they'll be coming to peer nostalgically in our window next month. I mean, the economy IS tanking. 
Ok, back to this tree and from whence it came: HOBBY LOBBY is a mecca of awesome crap that all women would enjoy. Even those who prefer, say... guns.. to fabric and knitting needles. My future father-in-law is known to visit Hobby Lobby multiple times a week, and many times he suggests outings to Hobby Lobby simply just to browse new or seasonal merchandise. There is fake shrubbery, framing, and aisles and aisles of glorious stuff. I know what you're thinking (if you haven't already decided I am weird for never having frequented a Hobby Lobby): this place sounds just like Michael's. YOU would be wrong. This place is six times the size of any Michael's I have ever seen, and you know those stupid baskets full of baskets, and rows of infomercial crap no one ever buys? Hobby Lobby does not partake in such nonsense. Hobby Lobby is respectable, and I fully recommend buying your Christmas tree (the earlier, the better) from this wonderful place.

2 comments:

Jill said...

love your colorful use of adjectives...also love large craft stores...and of course jessi without an e

catherine said...

this place sounds like my heaven if i come there will you take me lots of times